Monday, May 26, 2008

all is well now

So glad the whole family is finally well again. The kids haven't been sick since beginning of the year. Just 2 weeks ago, Big Missy was suspicious of having HFMD but it was an false alarm. We separated the sisters for 3 days until the doctor certified it was not a case of HFMD. Little Missy was not spared too. It started with cough, runny nose and persistent fever with high spikes at night. Since she has a whooping cough with thick green nasal discharge, our family doctor advised to start her on antibiotics as it might be due to some bacteria infection. After taking the antibiotics for 3 days, her condition did not get any better and the fever continued for another 4 days! She totally rejects milk and solid food! Can you imagine how thin she is now, so worrying! We finally went to our paediatrician and he suspected that Little Missy's case could be just viral infection. The antibiotics has no effect on the particular strain of bacteria in her and that explained why she is not reacting well to the antibiotics. He sent some nasal discharge for lab test to determine if its viral or bacteria infection. At the same time, I was sad to hear that he has to start Little Missy another course of antibiotics as he is concerned about the prolonged fever that has been going on for 2 weeks. I am not a fan of antibiotics but I decided to go for it knowing that our PD is not one who prescribe antibiotics easily and he is very careful when prescribing them for very young children.


Thanks for asking my friends, all is well now! Little Missy is reacting very well to the new medicines. No more fever and runny nose. Coughing is less too. Happiest thing is that she's asking for food now! I am going to give her Probiotics after she has completed the course of antibiotics since they are the best way to replenish the good bacteria.

7 comments:

petite fleur said...

It's never easy when our children get sick but glad she's better now. You've got a beautiful blog.

Rashida said...

Oh my! I noticed that you haven't been around. I chalked it up to just not feeling like blogging or crafting. I didn't know the little ones were ill. I'm so happy to know that all is well again! Get some rest, sounds like you deserve it. *hugs*

linda said...

Good to hear all is well now. Take care! xoxo

Cherry Tree Lane said...

I am so glad all is well now. My little girl is only 3 months, but the thought of her getting sick (even if it isnt "serious") is just too much for me to handle. It is so hard when your kids arent well and you dont know what to do. Im so happy your kiddos are feeling better! Yeah!!!!

Mcspannar said...

glad to hear that your girls are on the mend. hfmd here is sooo scary... hfmd is very scary for a new to singapore expat like me. we had that scare around the same time as you. and the i'm too sick to eat mummy syndrome is very worrying. my heart goes out to you (especially seeing that normal eating has returned here now too.)how does one recognise it?? fining a gp and pd i like is difficult too. any advice for an expat??

bp said...

Think by now, with your love and dedication, Lil Missy has eaten her way back =).

Charlene said...

Thanks all! Mcspannar, are you here in SIN already? Email me and I will let you know my pd's contact. :)